How To Send An Application Via Email

2024, guys... You cannot keep making the same mistakes over and over again... So I want to share very simple, yet important tips when sending an application via email. Note: Please read carefully.

What led to this topic?
Last week, I was privileged to have the opportunity to recruit two new team members, and my HOD insisted that I use my official email to receive resumes. I already anticipated the number of resumes I would get, knowing fully well the rate of unemployment in Nigeria. So, I was unhappy that my email would be very busy with lots of spam.
Unfortunately, we did not currently have any HR software that shuffles CVs: How HR Shuffles CVs.

What did I do?
I went to my email settings, started experimenting, and found a solution. I was able to create a different label (box), but I had to give it a title name and specify what type of message title should come inside, what type of file can be received, and what the weight of the file should be. Problem solved.

What does this imply?
It means any email without that title name or files above the specified weight will not be archived.

What did I notice?
After publishing the vacancy, specifying what the subject of the email should be and what the maximum weight should be for resumes, as well as the file type... a host of graduates still went ahead stubbornly to do what they thought was right rather than following the instructions.

The three simple but important tips:
That being said, when applying via email, ensure the following is observed:

  1. Note and obey what the recruiter has specified that your email subject should be. Otherwise, you will not hear from the recruiter because they won’t receive it. Don't add your own words.
  2. Similarly, follow the instructions regarding whether it should be in PDF or Word. There is a reason why they said so.
  3. Lastly, ensure the file is not above the required weight.

Tip: Be straight to the point in your application. I doubt recruiters read them. They go straight to your CV. If they ever read your email, let it be straightforward.

An HR job is on the line if they recruit the wrong people. Most times, they are trying to replace people, and they have a responsibility to get reliable individuals. If an applicant cannot follow instructions in the first place, it paints the person as someone who doesn't get themselves together, and it’s the first red flag.

Besides, that does not require experience, you would agree with me. They are just simple and common-sense instructions, as was given in your exams in school too.

If the subject says: Head Of Operations, don't write it as: Application For The Head Of Operations In Your Company (It won’t even be received) because they are like computer commands.

Kindly ask your questions.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. this is very helpful. My question is; often time they do not state which format to send your CV (either PDF or Word), so which is best to adhere to if it is not otherwise stated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I get most of the point you made but my question is, during job advertisement they just say send your CV to so and so address does it mean we are supposed to add some write up on the body of the email together with the attached CV?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. What is the best response to last 2 response. because a lot applicants make same mistakes especially when not specify the file type and the subject.

    ReplyDelete